This particular tutorial has been designed to serve as a general overview of the filing process of corporations in the state of Vermont. Within this page, we have linked more in depth and detailed step by step guides which will allow filers to educate themselves on how to properly register with the Vermont Secretary of State. This state offers an online filing portal which we highly recommend you employ as it is the most effective way of submitting your application and is a useful tool for managing your entity’s filings post-registration. We have also included all requisite PDFs on our website for those who are less technologically inclined. Note that when registering a corporation, the filing fee is $125 without exception.

How to File

Step 1- We suggest that filers take the time to perform a Business Entity Search to ensure that they’re proposed business name has not already been registered by another entity. If the name is not available due to the fact that it is indistinguishable from that of another business, the application will most likely be rejected. You will have the option prior to registration to reserve the name for a period of 120 days. Reservation will cost a total of $120.

Step 2- With a name chosen, you will be able to begin the registration process by either logging into your online account (account registration tutorial can be found here) or by downloading the PDF prescribed to your corporation type. Click on either the domestic corporation guide or the foreign corporation tutorial below to learn about what is involved in both the online and paper filing processes.

Step 3- With the PDF completed, or the online forms finished, you will be able to pay the filing fee. If registering online, this can be accomplished via eCheck or credit card. The online payment of the fee will mark the completion of the filing process with the Secretary of State. Those filing through the mail will need to print off their forms, pay the fee by check or money order (made payable to the Vermont Secretary of State), and send all items to the below address. Note that foreign corporations will need to include a certificate of good standing while professional entities must provide a professional license in their filing.

Vermont Secretary of State : Corporations Division

128 State Street

Montpellier, VT 05633


EIN– If you are forming a new entity, you will need to apply for an Employer Identification Number once your filing has been accepted by the Secretary of State. This number is used by the IRS to recognize your business as a legitimate, tax withholding entity. Without an EIN, entities are unable to open bank accounts, hire employees, apply for credit cards or perform any type of financial transaction. Click on the heading of this paragraph to learn more about the application process for this identifier. To obtain an EIN for your entity you may apply via the IRS website or you may download the application form SS-4 in PDF and submit by mail or in person.

Corporate Bylaw– When drafted correctly, the corporate bylaw can be used to greatly improve the overall organization of your business internal affairs. This agreement will act as a guideline, clarifying the roles and rights of all directors, officers and shareholders. It will also assist in relaying, in black and white, the entity’s logistical and financial affairs. It should be noted that this document is not legally required in Vermont, and if you do choose to draft one for your business, it should be filed internally. Take a look at our free template found linked in the heading of this paragraph, available in both Microsoft Word format and Adobe PDF.

Renewal– It is crucial that all corporations renew with the Secretary of State in order to stay in good standing. For profit corporations, the renewal document is requested each year, due within two and a half months following the fiscal year end date. This annual report can be submitted and paid for online (filing fee $45) using your account with the business center portal. Nonprofit corporations must file every other year between the 1st of January and the 1st of April with the first report being due the year following your entity’s initial registration. The biennial report can be submitted in similar fashion to an annual report only the filing fee will only amount to $20.

How to (Video)