This tutorial should serve only as a general guideline to the corporate filing process put in place by the Secretary of State in New Hampshire. Filers will notice that, for the most part, you will be able to manage and submit your business filings through an online portal. The exception to this rule is for benefit and non-profit organizations. For those two entity types, a PDF will need to be downloaded, filled out, and submitted through the mail to the Secretary of State. This option is of course available to profit and professional corporations as well, however, we highly recommend utilizing the NH QuickStart filing portal to expedite the process. Across the board, profit corporations can expect to pay a $100 filing fee while non-profits will be required to pay only $25.

How to File

Step 1- The first step that we recommend you take, though it is not mandatory, is the name availability inquiry through the Business Entity Search function. You can also choose to perform a Name Reservation filing which will, for the price of $15, reserve your name for a period of 120 days prior to submitting your formation/registration documents.

Step 2- In order to use the online filing system, NH QuickStart, filers will first need to create an account. This step is of course not applicable to non-profit or benefit corporation representatives. To learn more about how to register with the Secretary of State website, you can review this tutorial which will detail the process.

Step 3- You can now start completing the application/articles in PDF format or through the online portal. To learn more about what exactly will be needed in those forms, click on the link that corresponds with your corporation type below.

Step 4- Once you’ve filled out the forms in their entirety, you will be able to pay the filing fee. Fees should be paid by credit card or ACH (electronic check) if filing online and by check if filing through the mail. All profit corporations should be prepared to submit $100 while all non-profit entities need only supply $25. Send the filing package to the below address to complete the PDF filing process. Online submissions will be completed after payment of the filing fee. The second address displayed below is the one to use if you’d like to hand-deliver the package to the Secretary of State’s office.

Mailing address

Corporation Division

NH Dept. of State, 107 N Main St, Rm 204

Concord, NH 03301

Over-the-counter address

State House Annex

3rd Floor, Rm 317, 25 Capitol St

Concord, NH


EIN– Domestic corporations will need to apply for an Employer Identification Number after acceptance of formation has been received from the Secretary of State. This number will allow you to legally hire employees, file your taxes, open checking and savings accounts and the like, all under the company name. An EIN is used by the IRS to legitimize tax-paying entities. To learn more about the application process, you may review our tutorial linked in the heading of this paragraph. Filers will find that they can apply both Online and through the mail with the PDF Form SS-4.

Corporate Bylaws– For all entities that are currently operating without the use of a set of corporate bylaws, we here at Start a Business urge you to consider implementing this agreement into your corporate structure to better organize the rules and regulations of your entity. This document will allow you to delineate the nature of the relationship between the members of your corporation (directors, officers, shareholders) and the entity itself. For more information, and access to our free templates in MS Word and Adobe PDF, follow the link at the heading this paragraph to our secondary tutorial.

Renewal– All corporations in New Hampshire will be required to file an annual report with the Secretary of State. Through this process, you will effectively update the state with any changes which may have occurred over the course of the previous year and will enable your business to remain in good standing. When filing online, the Secretary of State will ask that you pay a $100 fee if you represent a profit business and a $35 fee if you operate a benefit corporation. Non-profits needn’t file an annual report.

How to (Video)