Welcome to the Start a Business webpage designed to assist partnership representatives as they navigate through the various hoops set up by the Nebraska Secretary of State. As you may have noticed, the Secretary of State website has not accommodated prospective filers with the ability to register online. Furthermore, there exists filing forms only for those creating limited liability partnerships or registering foreign limited partnerships. Otherwise, they leave it up to the filer to draft their own. The fees for partnerships can be broken down as follows:

Before registering your business, we always recommend that filers take the time to research the availability of their proposed business name by performing a Business Entity Search. You may also wish to file a Name Reservation filing through the mail to put a hold on your name for a period of 120 days prior to filing.

How to File a Domestic LP

Step 1- As previously mentioned, the Secretary of State website has not provided a ready-made form in which filers can use to register their business. Instead, you’ll have to create the document yourself providing the following information:

  • Name of LP
  • Address of principle office
  • Name and full address of registered agent
  • Any other provisions
  • Signatures and names of all general partners


Step 2- Attach to your application a check covering the $205 filing fee and send both items to the office of the Secretary of State (shown below) for processing.

John A. Gale, Secretary of State

Room 1301 State Capitol, P.O. Box 94608

Lincoln, NE 68509

How to File a Foreign LP

Step 1- A foreign limited partnership will first need to fill out the Registration for a Foreign Limited Partnership to Transact Business form. Download the application for registration here.

Step 2- Once downloaded, you will need to enter the following information:

  • Name of LP
  • Jurisdiction of initial organization
  • Date of formation
  • Address of principle office
  • Name and address of registered agent
  • Names and addresses of each general partner
  • Signature of general partner
  • Printed name and title of general partner


Step 3- Print off the form in duplicate before submitting your signature. After this has been accomplished, attach to the form a filing fee in the form of a check made out to the Secretary of State covering the filing costs. Send all items to the below address for processing. If the application has been accepted, you will receive a copy of the original filing as well as a certificate of registration giving permission to transact business in Nebraska.

John A. Gale, Secretary of State

Room 1301 State Capitol, P.O. Box 94608

Lincoln, NE 68509

How to File a Foreign/Domestic LLP

Step 1- To qualify as a limited liability partnership whether domestic or foreign, you will need to submit a Statement of Qualification. Once downloaded, provide the following information:

  • Name of partnership
  • Indicate whether partnership shall engage in the practice of law
  • Address of principle office
  • Address of Nebraska office (if different)
  • Registered agent name and address
  • Effective date (optional)
  • Whether domestic or foreign and the state of initial formation (if foreign)
  • Printed name and signature of two partners


Step 2- If you’re limited liability partnership offers a professional service, you will need to purchase a Certificate of Authority from the Nebraska Supreme Court for the amount of $25 prior to registration. More information on the filing requirements for this certificate can be found here.

Step 3- Provide a check covering the amount of $205 if your partnership doesn’t offer a professional service and $220 if it does. Make that payable to the Secretary of State and attach it to both copies of the application before sending it into the office of the Secretary of State (shown below). Remember to attach the certificate of authority if applicable also.

John A. Gale, Secretary of State

Room 1301 State Capitol, P.O. Box 94608

Lincoln, NE 68509


EIN– All partnerships will be required to apply for an EIN once successfully registered with the Secretary of State. An EIN is necessary when hiring employees, opening company bank accounts or applying for business loans using the partnership name. This number allows for the IRS to recognize new businesses as legal and tax-withholding. To apply for this number, you can use the IRS website, or fill out Form SS-4 and submit the document through the mail. Click on the link at the heading of this paragraph to learn more about the Online and Form SS-4 application processes.

Partnership Agreement– Those forming general, limited and limited liability partnerships would be wise to incorporate the drafting of a partnership agreement into their entity formation procedure. This document will enable you to relay the various rules and regulations under which the general partners of your entity will be required to operate. Take a moment to review the free template found linked above and to the left to see if an agreement is right for your business. You’ll find that it is downloadable in both MS Word and Adobe PDF for your convenience.

Renewal– Limited liability partnerships are the only entity on this page that will need to renew each year. There are two steps required of the general partners; to re-apply for the certificate of authority from the Nebraska Supreme Court (more information here), and to file an annual report with the Secretary of State. This can be done online or through the mail. In either case, you will be required to supply your account number to receive your entity information. The submission of this filing should lie between January 1st and April 1st of each calendar year. The failure to submit on time will enable to Secretary of State to revoke your statement of qualification if they deem it necessary.

How to (Video)