This tutorial has been designed for the individual looking for insight into the Michigan name reservation process. As of right now, there is no online filing system put in place on the government website and the application for a name reservation must be submitted in the mail, by fax or by email. The price and duration of the reservation for each entity type is as follows:
- Limited Liability Company (for six months following the month of filing) – $25
- Profit Corporation (for six months following the month of filing) – $10
- Nonprofit Corporation (for six months following the month of filing) – $10
- Limited Partnership (for four months following the month of filing) – $10
It is wise to perform a Business Entity Search prior to reservation to ensure that your proposed name is indeed available for use in Michigan.
How to Reserve
Step 1- Begin by downloading the PDF of the Application For Reservation of Name.
Step 2- Once open in your PDF viewer, enter in the following information:
- Name and address of applicant
- 1- Name to be reserved
- 2- Entity type
- Date of signing
- Name, title, signature, and address of applicant
Step 3- You will now be able to either print off the document and prepare the filing fee ($10 corporations and partnerships, $25 for LLCs). Those filing through the mail must pay by check or money order made out to the State of Michigan and send their forms to the address posted below. Filers may also choose to submit the document by email (CDfilings@michigan.gov) or by fax (517-241-0538), however, an MICH-ELF account will be required when doing so. Visit our tutorial here for more information on how to file using a MICH-ELF account.
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
P.O. Box 30054
Lansing, MI 48909