If you represent a foreign limited liability company that’s looking to move their business to Maine you’ll find that we’ve catered this tutorial to your exact needs. Below we’ve relayed the step by step process of filing with the Secretary of State to get your company registered and running legally . What you will be required to do is submit a completed Statement of Foreign Qualification and provide a certificate of good standing issued by the Secretary of State or like authority of your original jurisdiction of formation. Along with these two documents will be either a voucher containing your credit card information or a check made out to the Maine Secretary of State. This fee will need to cover the cost of filing which happens to be $250. At this time there is no online option for submitting a document of this nature and the traditional filing method of mailing in your application will be employed. It is essential that all filings be submitted in accordance with 31 MRSA §1622.
How to Apply
Step 1- All entities are required to operate under a name which is completely distinguishable from that of any other business registered with the Secretary of State. To investigate the availability of your LLC’s name in the database, you can use the Business Entity Search. This doesn’t guarantee originality but will give you a list of similar names registered with the Secretary of State. A Name Reservation can be used to prevent other entities from using your name for a period of 120 days prior to filing. If your name reservation is accepted, you can rest assured that you will not need to operate under a fictitious title.
Step 2- Download the Statement of Foreign Qualification and get started on the empty fields. This will involve supplying the following pieces of information:
- 1-Name of LLC in the jurisdiction of organization
- 2-Fictitious name (if applicable)
- 3-Date of formation, jurisdiction where formed and the address of the principle office
- 5-Nature of the business to be transacted
- 6-Registered agent type, name, CRA number (if commercial), mailing and street address (if non commercial)
- 8-The name as well as the business,mailing and residence address of each manager (if applicable)
- 10-Check if LLC provides a professional service and describe that service
- 11- Provide an attached document and check off the box if your LLC is governed by an agreement that establishes power or duties with respect to specified property, obligations of the company or profits and losses in relationship to said property and obligations.
- Authorized signature
- Name and title of applicant
- Name of entity
- List of filings enclosed
- Special handling (if applicable)
- Total filing fees enclosed
- Name of applicant
- Daytime phone number
- Email address
- The name and mailing address to receive the attested copy
Step 4- Once all three pages are complete you will need to attach your certificate of good standing issued within 90 days of this date of filing. At this point you can provide the filing fee as well (totaling $250). Send all items to the below address to complete the filing process.
Department of the Secretary of State,
Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions
101 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333-0101
Renewal– In the State of Maine, all businesses are required to update the office of the Secretary of State each year with the filing of their annual report. This document can be submitted online by entering the charter number into the webpage linked in this paragraph. If you fail to submit your renewal forms in the allotted time, between January 1st and June 1st , you will no longer remain in good standing with the state.