Welcome to Start a Business’s guide to corporation registration in the state of Kansas. There are two ways that a corporation can operate in Kansas; either through forming within the state (domestic) or by applying for authority to conduct business (foreign). All varieties of corporation will be required to file the necessary paperwork with the Secretary of State’s office and pay their respective filing fees (listed below) before being given permission to operate. At this time, only domestic filers will be able to submit their forms online. All other documents will need to be downloaded in PDF form, completed and then mailed to the Secretary of State for processing. Along with this registration, foreign entities will need to provide a certificate of good standing from their jurisdiction of initial incorporation. It is necessary that all paperwork be completed and submitted in accordance with Chapter 17 of the Kansas state statutes.

  • Domestic Profit- $90 | $85 (online)
  • Domestic Non-Profit- $20
  • Foreign Profit- $115
  • Foreign Non-Profit-$115

We suggest performing a Business Entity Search to make certain that the name you plan on operating under has not already been registered by another entity. If this is the case, and you’re a foreign corporation, you will be required to operate using a fictitious name. A Name Reservation will allow for businesses to place a hold on their operating name for a period of 120 days prior to their filing for formation.

How to File

Step 1-  The first step you’ll need to take, if you are filing online, is logging into your account (tutorial found here) and navigating to the profit or non profit Articles of Incorporation forms. Those opting to use to paper filing route will be required  to download the necessary PDF files. A tutorial on each of the processes can be found linked below.

Step 2- Online filers will now be able to pay their fee online using their credit card or an e-check. This payment will mark the completion of the filing process. Foreign entities and domestic incorporators choosing to use the PDF method will be required to make a check payable to the Secretary of State and attach it to their form.

Step 3- Foreign entities will need to also supply a certificate of good standing to prove their legitimacy. Attach this document to your application (if applicable) and send both forms along with the filing fee to the below address and await correspondence.

Memorial Hall, 1st Floor

120 S.W. 10th Avenue

Topeka, KS 66612


EIN – Newly formed entities will be required to apply for an Employer Identification Number to allow the IRS to recognize them for tax reporting purposes. This number will in turn allow you to apply for loans, open checking and savings accounts, renew business licenses and otherwise conduct any level of financial transaction in the future. The application can be performed Online or by using the PDF application of Form SS-4 in just a matter of minutes. Click on the link found at the heading of this paragraph to review our tutorial covering the application process.

Corporate Bylaws– All corporations are advised to draft a set of corporate bylaws for their new company. This document will allow incorporators to detail any provision relating to the management of their business including the power of the board of directors, the manner in which the corporation is to managed, the division of assets upon dissolution and the number of meetings held each year. Without this document, there will be no legal evidence of the corporations ownership or shareholder’s capital investments. Click on the link found in this paragraph to access our free template provided in both MS Word formatting and Adobe PDF.

Renewal– Each year, business entities are required to file what is called an annual report in order to update the Secretary of State of any changes which may have occurred over the previous 12 months. This renewal form will need to be accompanied by the appropriate filing fee for you entity type. The process should take just a few minutes and can be completed both online and through a PDF application. If you fail to file in time, you will lose the status of “in good standing” and, in extreme cases, will run the risk of dissolution.

How to (Video)