Welcome to the Start a Business tutorial on corporate registration in Idaho. Representatives of both foreign and domestic corporations will be required to file the necessary paperwork and filing fees with the Secretary of State in accordance with Title 30, Chapter 29 of the Idaho Code. The government website does not, at this time, have an online filing option. Therefore, either the Articles of Incorporation or the Foreign Registration Statement will need to be downloaded and filled in PDF form. Profit corporations will be required to pay a fee of $100 while those filing as a non-profit will only be charged $30. All checks must be made payable to the Secretary of State and accompany the forms upon filing.

How to File

Step 1- A Business Entity Search should be performed prior to registration to verify the availability of your desired business name. If you’re already operating under a certain name in another state/country and it’s currently being used in Idaho, you will be required to file using a fictitious name. You may also wish to file a Name Reservation which will secure the rights to a business name for up to 4 months.

Step 2- Now that you’ve been made certain that the name you plan to use in Idaho is completely unique to your business, you can download the appropriate paperwork for the corporation type you’d like to form and submit the requisite filing information. Click on the link below which corresponds with your business type to find out the exact filing requirements.

Step 3- Once the forms have been completed in duplicate, you will need to print them off and send them along with the filing fee to the office of the Secretary of State (address below). The filing fees are $100 for profit corporations and $30 for non-profit. If you would like, you can expedite your filing for the price of $20. Those who have hand written their application will be required to pay an additional $20 for the inconvenience. If you are filing as a foreign corporation, you will need to supply a certificate of good standing signed by the Secretary of State (or similar authority) from your original jurisdiction. This certificate must be issued within 90 days of your filing with Idaho.

Office of the Secretary of State

450 N 4th Street, PO Box 83720

Boise ID 83720-0080


EIN– Upon completion of filing for incorporation, filers are advised to navigate to the IRS website to acquire an Employer Identification Number. This number can be used to open bank accounts under the corporate name, apply for credit cards and otherwise prove eligibility in any financial undertaking. The Internal Revenue Service uses this identifier to recognize companies that are withholding taxes. You can either apply for the EIN Online or through the mail with the Form SS-4. Click on the link at the heading of this paragraph to find out more information.

Corporate Bylaws– Corporate bylaws are used to define the management and government of a corporation’s affairs and activities. Without this document, there will be no legal evidence of the ownership of the corporation, the power of the share holders and the number of shares distributed. Although this agreement is not required by law in the state of Idaho, you can begin to imagine why a corporation without a set of bylaws will appear to lack legitimacy and organization by financial institutions and the like. To review our free template, available in MS Word and Adobe PDF, click on the link at the heading this paragraph.

Renewal– All corporations are require to file their annual report each year to renew with the Secretary of State. This function can be performed online using the government website with no accompanying filing fee. A post card will be sent reminding you of the due date and providing you with the login credentials necessary for filing. Those failing to properly file the annual report will not be able to maintain the status of good standing and, if enough time passes, will become forfeited and forced to apply for reinstatement.

How to (Video)