Foreign corporations wishing to expand their business into the state of Hawaii will need to first apply for a Certificate of Authority. This step can be conducted by creating an account with the Business Registration Division website and filing online. Filers will also have the option of filing through the mail using the PDF application we have provided below. Regardless of the method used, you will be required to pay for the processing of the documents. Non-profit corporations will be charged a $25 filing fee while profit entities will be required to pay $50.

All business entities entering Hawaii must verify that their corporate name isn’t already in use by a business operating in the state. A Business Entity Search will allow you to verify that your name is distinguishable from that over another entity. A Name Reservation is a useful filing which will prevent other businesses from registering using your name for a period of 120 days.

How to File (Online)

Step 1- Begin by logging into your account with the Hawaii Business Registration website. If you don’t currently have an account, you can create one for free. Continue by selecting the Foreign Corporation Application for Certificate of Authority link.


Step 2- A message will be displayed stating that if you need to be registered with multiple agencies then you should file with the HBE Wizard. For the purposes of this tutorial we will be filing using the Business Express online service. Continue to proceed.


Step 3- First identify your corporation type.

hawaii-foreign-corporation-online-1Step 4- At this point, you will need to attach a PDF of the certificate of good standing issued from your state/country or original incorporation.


Step 5- Next, provide the corporate name as well as the region and date of incorporation.


Step 6- Enter in the mailing address of the principle office.


Step 7- Continue by providing the name, type and address of your registered agent.


Step 8- Indicate whether your corporation has members or not in this step.


Step 9- To finish the online filing process, specify whether you are filing as an individual or a representative of an entity and enter your name, title and provide your signature. On the following page you will be required to pay the appropriate filing fee for your corporation type.


How to File (PDF)

Step 1- Begin by downloading the PDF of the Application for Certificate of Authority for Foreign Corporation.

Step 2- Next, you will need to provide the following information:

  • 1-Indicate whether you are filing a profit or non-profit
  • 2-At this point, be sure to have attached your certificate of good standing from the region of original incorporation
  • 3-Name of corporation
  • 4-State/country of formation
  • 5-Date of original incorporation
  • 6-Mailing address of principle office
  • 7-Registered agent information
  • 8-Name, office held and address of all officers and directors
  • 9-Indicate whether you have members or not (for non-profit only)
  • Date of filing
  • Printed title, name of two (2) officers and their signatures


Step 3- Be sure to have your certificate of good standing attached to the form (if applicable) before providing a check covering the filing fee of $50 (profit) or $25 (non-profit). These fees will need to be made payable to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Send all items to the below address and await correspondence.

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

P.O. Box 40 – Honolulu, HI 96810


Renewal– In order for your corporation to remain in good standing with Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, you will have to file an annual report each year. This report will inform the state offices of any alterations to your management, the state of your finances, the location of your offices or any other piece of information they deem necessary. Fortunately the price for the filing is only $15 and it can be done easily from your mobile device or home computer.