Welcome to the Start a Business guide on how to register a corporation with the Secretary of State. The incorporation of a company, within the state of Connecticut, must be conducted in accordance with Title 33 of the General Statutes of Connecticut. You can use this tutorial to gain information on how to file a stock(profit) domesticstock foreign corporation, non-stock(non profit) domestic, non-stock foreign corporation or a religious corporation. The filing fees will vary from as low as $40 for non-stock corporations to as high as $350 for a foreign stock entity.  All filings must be done by printing off the PDF form of the Certificate of Authority/Incorporation and mailing or delivering it to the Secretary of State. Click on the links below to gain access to more detailed information.

How to File

Step 1- The first step in the formation of any business is to come up with a name that suits the company. This proposed name must be distinguishable from the business names of any other entity filed with the Secretary of the State. To ensure yourself of it’s uniqueness, you can perform a query using the business entity search function of the Secretary of the State website. Note that all corporations within the State of Connecticut must involve the words “Incorporated”, “Corporation”, “Company” or an abbreviation there of. Now would also be a good time to perform a Name Reservation, guaranteeing you the rights to your designation for a period of 120 days.

Step 2- Once the originality of your name has been confirmed, you can then proceed to printing off  the PDF forms as shown below. Domestic corporations are those which are formed within the state. Foreign corporations can be defined as companies which have been created anywhere outside of state but would like to do business within Connecticut.

Step 3- Once the forms have been completed to the best of your ability, attach to them a check made out to the Secretary of the State which covers the filing fee associated with your certificate (listed below).

  • Domestic Stock-$250
  • Domestic Non Stock-$50
  • Foreign Stock-$350
  • Foreign Non Stock-$40
  • Religious-$50

Note that a certificate of good standing must be provided if your entity is applying from a foreign jurisdiction. This can be attached to the filing of the Certificate of Authority.

Step 4- Place all items into an envelope and either mail it to address 1 or deliver by hand to address 2 (both displayed below).

Address 1 :

Commercial Recording Division

Connecticut Secretary of State

P.O. Box 150470, Hartford, CT 06115

Address 2 :

Commercial Recording Division

Connecticut Secretary of State

 30 Trinity Street, Hartford, CT 06106


Renewal– In accordance with Chapter 601-Sec. 33-953, all corporations must file an annual report in order to remain in good standing within the Secretary of State. This is pretty standard practice as it allows the state officials to stay up to date on any major structural changes within the entity. The filing of the first annual report must be done within 30 days of incorporation and every year following. Fortunately this report can be filed online and a link to the Secretary of State online portal can be found in the heading of this paragraph.

Corporate BylawsChapter 601-Sec. 33-640 states that all corporations shall adopt initial bylaws for their corporation which dictate the detailed management of the business which hasn’t already been stated in the articles of incorporation. This document needn’t be filed with the Secretary of State and the information contained within it is up to the initial incorporators of your entity. To access our free template for such a document, available in both Adobe PDF and MS Word formatting, click the link found in this sentence.

EIN – The Employer Identification Number must be applied for Online or with Form SS-4 for any newly formed corporation. This number will ensure that your business will be successful in opening bank accounts, applying for loans, hiring employees and reporting withheld taxes. The Internal Revenue Service uses this number to identify business for tax reporting purposes. Clicking on our link will provide you with a tutorial on both online and paper filing for this number.

How to (Video)