Welcome to the Start a Business guide to entity registration in Arkansas. This page will provide you with a general overview of the filing procedures demanded by the Secretary of State, with more in-depth instructions found within the links below. Filers will find that there is an online registration portal in which the majority of entity types may be registered. We have also provided downloadable PDF applications for individuals who would like to submit their filings through the mail.

Start an Entity

Search for a Name

Before filing for any entity, it will be necessary for you to decide upon a name for your business. To ensure that the desired title has not already been taken by another partnership, company or corporation, you must perform a search of the name database using the Business Entity Search provided by the Secretary of State website. If you are a foreign entity, and the name has already been taken in the state of Arkansas, you may file for the registration of a fictitious name to use in its stead.

How to File in Arkansas

Step 1- Filers are recommended to perform a Business Entity Search prior to registration to ensure that their business name is currently available for use. It is also possible to reserve a business name for 120 by filing a Name Reservation application ($25).

Step 2- The next step in the filing process is to provide the requisite business information. This process can be accomplished online or by downloading and completing a PDF application. For a full description of what is required of you, click on the link below that corresponds with your business type to read our more in-depth tutorial.


Limited Liability Company


Step 3- Now that the filing information has been supplied, you will be required to pay for the filing fee (fees listed below). Those filing online will be able to pay the filing fee using either a credit card or through their INA account. For those who aren’t using the Secretary of State website to file, the completed application must be accommodated by a check made out to the Arkansas Secretary of State and mailed to the address below. Foreign applications must also include a certificate of good standing from their initial jurisdiction of formation.

Business & Commercial Services

1401 W. Capitol Avenue, Suite 250

Little Rock, AR 72201

(Filing Fees)


  • Domestic Profit Corporation- $45 Online, $50 Paper
  • Domestic Non-Profit Corporation- $45 Online, $50 Paper
  • Domestic Benefit Corporation- $50
  • Foreign Profit Corporation- $270 Online, $300 Paper
  • Foreign Non-Profit Corporation- $270 Online, $300 Paper
  • Foreign Benefit Corporation- $300

Limited Liability Company

  • Domestic Limited Liability Company- $45 Online, $50 Paper
  • Foreign Limited Liability Company- $275 Online, $300 Paper


  • Domestic Limited Partnership- $50
  • Domestic Limited Liability Partnership- $50 
  • Domestic Limited Liability Limited Partnership- $50
  • Foreign Limited Partnership- $300
  • Foreign Limited Liability Partnership- $300
  • Foreign Limited Liability Limited Partnership- $300

Name Reservation

Those who are filing as a corporation or limited liability company can secure the rights to their business name by filing a Name Reservation application ($25 fee). You will be given a window of 120 days to file for formation or qualification within the state of Arkansas before the name reservation expires. Reservation can also be completed online for the filing fee of $22.50.

Certificate of Good Standing

The Certificate of Good Standing of a business entity may be required when attempting to take out loans, renew business licenses, or complete any function in which proof of validity and compliance to state corporate law is needed. The acquisition of a certificate will require a fee of $25 and must be done online.


The below agreements are not required by law in the state of Arkansas, however, it is highly advisable that they be adopted. After filing for registration, an agreement should be completed in order to put into place the details of how the entity will operate. All managing members must agree to, sign and be given a copy of the form as the state will not overlook the organization of the business.

Employer Identification Number

Following the filing of a corporation, LLC, or partnership, an entity should register for an Employer Identification Number (also known as Federal Tax Identification Number) to be used by IRS for tax reporting purposes. This number enables a company to perform financial transactions such as opening bank accounts, applying for credit and paying employees. Both the Online registration through the IRS website, and the acquisition through PDF Application (SS-4) can be done with no additional cost. For more information on the application process for an EIN click here.

How to (Video)