Starting a partnership in the state of Alaska can be done by any applicant that is interested. You can start a partnership in Alaska by filing either a limited partnership (LP) or a limited liability partnership (LLP). Both may be filed as domestic (in-state) or foreign (out-of-state). The filing is only available to be made via the PDF applications known as the Certificate of Partnership (for limited partnerships) or the Statement of Qualification (for limited liability partnerships).

Before using one of the instruction methods below it is recommended that the applying party use the State of Alaska Business Search function to choose a unique name that has not been registered. Furthermore, it is possible to reserve a business name for 120 days by filing a Name Reservation application.

How to File a Limited Partnership

Step 1- Decide which application best matches your situation and download:

Step 2- Now you will begin filling-in the form. For domestic filers the document must be written in accordance with AS 32.11.010 and foreign with AS 32.11.420. The following information should be entered:

  • Legal name – must contain the word “limited partnership”
  • *Only for Foreign – assumed name if the name in the home state has been taken
  • *Only for Foreign – state of domicile (home) and check the box marking if it is in good standing
  • Registered agent name and address
  • Principal office address
  • Names and addresses of each general partner
  • Address of the office of the partnership where a list is kept of all the names and addresses of limited partners and capital contributions
  • Signature of one of the general partners

Domestic Limited Partnership


Foreign Limited Partnership


Step 3- Attach a check for the filing fee of $150 made payable to the State of Alaska/CBPL and complete the last page known as the Contact Information Sheet. This page will be used when sending the completed filing back to the general partner. Send all the forms and the filing fee to the following address:

State of Alaska

Corporations Section – PO Box 110806

Juneau, AK 99811

How to File a Limited Liability Partnership

Step 1- Download one of the following applications:

Step 2- Now you can begin filling-in the application according to Statutes AS 32.06.911 (Domestic) and AS 32.06.922 (Foreign) by entering:

  • Legal name – must contain one of the following words: “Limited Liability Partnership,” “L.L.P.,” or “LLP”
  • State of country of domicile (only for foreign)
  • Registered agent name and address
  • Address of the partnership’s chief executive address
  • Effect of qualification in mm/dd/yyyy format

Domestic Limited Liability Partnership


Foreign Limited Liability Partnership


Step 3- Attach the filing fee of $250 (domestic) or $350 (foreign). Have a check made payable to the State of Alaska/CBPL. On the last page of the download you must complete the “Contact Information Sheet” which the state will use when sending the completed and filed forms back to the incorporator. After all documents and filing fee(s) have been made all should be placed in an envelope and sent to the following address:

State of Alaska

Corporations Section – PO Box 110806

Juneau, AK 99811


EIN– If the partnership will be opening a bank account or acting in financial matters it is required to have an Employer Identification Number. This number is how the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be able to identify your entity, and will be the main means by which they track your financial activity. Obtaining this number is a crucial step for all entities that are needing to conduct even the most marginal of financial activity. In order to obtain an EIN you will need to complete and submit the PDF Form SS-4 or complete the online filing on the IRS Website. Click on the link at the heading of this paragraph for more information.

Partnership Agreement– The adoption of such an agreement is not required by the state but in order to officially establish which partners own certain percentages of the entity this document may be used. In addition for some types of partnerships, general and limited partners can be established as well as writing the full list of rules for the entity. While not a mandatory aspect of forming a partnership in the state of Alaska it is a highly recommend. Review our free template found linked in the heading of this paragraph, available for download in MS Word and Adobe PDF.

Renewal– All limited liability partnerships will be required to file a biennial report with the state in order to remain in good standing. Through this process, you may notify the state with any changes to the business that may have occurred in the previous two years. Filing can be accomplished online in a matter of minutes. Click on the link at the heading of this paragraph to access the online filing portal.

How to (Video)